Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Where can I find the Library's eBooks?
The Library's eBook Central collection is one of a variety of sources of eBooks. Use eBook Search for a comprehensive search of all eBooks available to you. Visit eBook Central if you only want to see books included in our eBook Central collection.
Who can read the Library's eBooks?
Department of Commerce staff and contractors stationed at the Herbert C. Hoover Building in Washington, DC, with a Library Account may use eBook Central.
How do I read eBook Central eBooks on my device or offline?
eBook Central is designed with mobile in mind. Access the site from your tablet or phone, and read in your mobile browser. Additionally, you are able to download a chapter of an eBook and share it.
It is possible to download a full eBook and read it offline. However, the Library does not recommend doing this. Due to the digital rights management requirements, downloading the full eBook requires you as the user to go through many steps. For step-by-step guidance, visit their tutorial.
1. If you don't already have one, request a Library Account.
2. Use eBook Search for a comprehensive search of all eBooks available to you:
3. Once a book is selected, if the book is from eBook Central, it will say so under View Online. Click on the hyperlink.
4. You will be asked to log in with your OpenAthens account and then taken directly to the book.
5. Click Read Online to begin reading the book in your browser or use the Table of Contents to Download/Read Online a specific section.
1401 Constitution Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20230
Monday to Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed on Federal Holidays
General Public - by appointment only