Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Browse and search the collections, select a book, and click on PDF to begin reading immediately in your browser.
Users can print, copy and paste, and download PDFs by chapter.
Where can I find the Library's eBooks?
The Library's MIT Press Direct collection is one of a variety of sources of eBooks. Use eBook Search for a comprehensive search of all eBooks available to you. Visit MIT Press Direct if you only want to see books included in our subscription to MIT Press Direct.
Who can read the Library's eBooks?
Department of Commerce staff and contractors stationed at the Herbert C. Hoover Building in Washington, DC, with a Library Account may use MIT Press Direct eBooks.
How do I read MIT Press Direct eBooks on my device or offline?
MIT Press Direct eBooks are available by chapter in DRM-free PDFs.
1. If you don't already have one, request a Library Account.
2. Use eBook Search for a comprehensive search of all eBooks available to you:
3. Once a book is selected, if the book is from MIT Press, it will say so under View Online. Click on the hyperlink.
4. You will be asked to log in with your OpenAthens account and then taken directly to the book.
5. The eBooks are broken up by chapter, click on PDF by the part you want to read.
1401 Constitution Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20230
Monday to Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed on Federal Holidays
General Public - by appointment only